I was struggling with doing edge highlights using a brush. I would literally dread this part of painting. It was not hard, but it sure was tedious. Then I saw a demonstration by Justin from Secret Weapons Miniatures. Justin showed how to use a watercolor pencil to do edge highlighting and it looked great.
The process is simple:
- Be sure your miniature is completely dry
- Select a color as you would with paint
- Run the side of the pencil point along the edge of you miniature
- Blend it with you dry finger until you like the look
- If you do not like the look, remove the highlighting with water and start again
For me this process gives me far better control than the brush, so the result looks better, and it is much faster.
Be sure to check out his site: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/. He has several very cool products. His pigments are among the best you can get and about half the price of the competition.